Skip to main content

My Audition for a REAL Opera House in Germany!

This past Tuesday I had my first German Opera House audition!  I was asked at the last minute by a colleague who worked there to audition for a role they're looking to cast next season and which I sing, and have sung for this colleague in an audition before.  (Sorry, I can't be any more specific with names because I don't want to jinx it.)  Honestly, I was really lucky to have been asked to audition since normally these sorts of things don't happen unless you have an agent who knows about the vacancy which the theater is looking to fill, and then sends you there, and actually, all of the other singers who were there to audition had agencies.  So, I was quite overjoyed to have been invited, to say the least.

However, sticking to the point- I'd like to relate what the experience was like.

I heard of the audition on a Friday and the audition itself was taking place on Tuesday of the following week, so in four days.  That really didn't give me a whole lot of time to polish up things or change anything technique-wise or performance-wise, so I was glad that I had been practicing ferociously for the past few months.

I was able to drive there with my boyfriend who was kind enough to take a day off of his classes at University to take me there, and we drove the morning of the audition, meaning that we left the apartment at 8am and got there around 11:30am.

I was scheduled to meet the pianist to work with him/her at 11:45am so I was worried that we'd gotten there too late, but fortunately a woman from the KBB (the opera houses' personnel director, you could say) came to meet me in the waiting room/lobby and took me to a room where I could warm up before I met the pianist. 

I warmed up for about 15 minutes and the pianist came in at that point to work with me.  However I wasn't fully warmed up just then, so I asked her if she'd be able to come back in 5 more minutes.  She said it was no problem and that she'd work with some of the other singers in the meantime.  So, I warmed up some more and then finally felt that I was ready to work with her, and had loosened up my stiff limbs from being in the car for so long.  Luckily, I had the ability to drive with my boyfriend; I can only imagine how frazzled I might have been had I taken the train and tried to find my way from the main train station to the theater (which weren't near one another)!

Anyway, the pianist returned and we worked on the pieces I'd prepared for the audition, going over things which are particularly tricky (places where I breathe, take the tempo slower or faster, add fermatas, etc...) and things were really going well.  The pianist seemed to be in a cheery mood and she was really wonderful to boot, so I am quite glad that I got to have her play for my audition.

At any rate, I was the 5th person to auditon, and I was glad that I had the opportunity to relax and focus myself after my rehearsal time with the pianist.  It was also good that I wasn't the first or second because I then observed how the other auditionees did it.  I wasn't aware, actually, that it was allowed during such an audition to ask for a break once you'd sung your first aria.  And, that is what my colleagues did.  In fact, two singers who were from the same agency sang their arias interchangeably and that way the one could take a break while the other was singing and vice versa.  So, I was lucky enough to have seen this practice before I auditioned, otherwise I might have just gone from one tough aria to the next.

Upon entering to audition, the super-friendly stage manager ushered me to the side of the stage through a small hole in the curtains and I was thrust onto the stage in front of the General Intendant, the Music Director, the Dramaturg and the Assistant Dramaturg, sitting in the audience.  The pianist came over to meet me in the middle of the stage and I handed her my music.  She motioned for me to step into a rectangular box outlined on the floor of the stage with gaffer's tape, saying that singers sounded best from that spot.

So, I began the audition and the first piece went smoothly- and my acting went well too, which is normally difficult for that particular aria since it involves a lot of movement.  Then, the audition panel themselves said they'd like to hear a second aria but asked me if I would like to take a small break before singing that, and they'd hear someone else, so I said that would be great.

I walked off the stage and went straight to the restroom while trying to mentally focus on keeping my energy up until I had to be back on stage.  They had elected to hear another singer while I took my break, so I was thankful that I had at least three minutes while they finished their aria before I was back on.  I exited the restroom only to run practically right into the General Intendant who had come out especially to ask me if I wouldn't mind not acting at all during the second aria, and just concentrating on my singing, to which I said that would be no problem.  The Intendant seemed pleased and I was glad that they had told me that before I went ahead and acted in the second aria too (phew! that was a lucky break for sure!). 

I walked around the hallways thinking of how amazing it was to be there auditioning and how much more amazing it would be to be able to sing there in the coming season, and I tried to focus that excitement into a laserbeam of energy that would come across when I sang the second aria.  As I was doing this and walking back toward the door leading onto the stage, the singer who had just finished exited, and the energetic stage manager ushered me onto the stage again for my second aria.

The second aria I sang without doing nearly any acting (okay, I couldn't contain myself enough to sing it totally deadpan- I had to at least do some facial expressions and two-ish hand gestures- cut me a break!) and it went off without a hitch.  At the end I was possibly more excited than when I had begun because I simply fed off the energy of just standing there and singing (for once!).  It's actually a nice change to be able to audition without worrying about the acting so much in the initial stages of things- it takes the spotlight and puts it on your voice.

Anyway, I finished the audition and was glad with my performance, and was also glad to have had such a good experience at such an important moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Long Can Opera Singers Sing Per Day?

To those readers who aren't singers (or even those who are) I would like to take some time today to talk about the proper and measured use of our voices (speaking and singing) during the course of a normal day and over the course of a normal week. This subject has come to mind for me because of factors relating to everyone' normal daily lives.  We are technologically-connected beings who are constantly communicating with someone, somewhere, somehow.  Sure, it's great to talk at work with your co-workers during lunch break, or have a phone conversation with your Grandmother for an hour every Tuesday, but just how much is all that talking really weighing on your voice in an overall evaluation? Because I have been singing six days a week for at least two hours since last June (and have really kept that schedule up- amazingly--okay, except for Christmas break at which point I didn't sing for 1.5 weeks) I've noticed that speaking frequently over the course the day wo

From the Other Side of the Opera Stage- Life as a Conductor, Coach and Collaborative Pianist: An Interview with William Hicks

All too often I find myself forgetting that there are many valuable perspectives to be examined in the world of Opera and not just that of the Singer. So today I'd like to introduce you to one such perspective from an interview that I held recently with the very talented Conductor, Coach and Pianist, Maestro William Hicks. Although his extensive experience with many of the legends of Operatic, Classical and American Music would surely lead you to believe that he holds numerous advanced degrees from Juilliard, Mr. Hicks actually only completed two years of study as a Piano, Voice and Piano Accompanying Major at the Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music and he did not finish high school. (This, of course, just makes his considerable achievements all the more impressive!) He grew up in Lexington, Kentucky; an only child raised by his maternal Grandparents and attended private school until his musical precociousness gained him early acceptance to CCM at age sixteen. Though h

Allergy & Cold Remedies for Singers

I know that it's only 3 days away from the Summer Solstice, but I have had my first experience this year of just how terrible seasonal allergies and a subsequent summer cold can be, so I have compiled this list of tips on getting back to normal when in the throes of a cold or allergies. The advice comes from many colleagues and friends (thank you!) as well as my own experience. I hope it can serve as a reference (which might be handy to bookmark for cold season!) and if you're suffering currently, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery! :) Over-the-Counter Medicines: Claritin/Allegra/Xyzal: doctors say that Claritin is the mildest anti-allergy medicine (in pill form) and Allegra is the next strongest, followed by Xyzal, which is the strongest. I've not tried any of these so I cannot speak to their effectiveness. Flonase: over the counter nasal spray which is a synthetic steroid and supposedly helps with decongestion. My disclaimer: when I used it once bef