Skip to main content

2011 Opernakademie Bad Orb:What A Barber of Sevilla Normal Rehearsal Schedule Was Like

I think that it's about time that I get to the nitty-gritty of what things were like for me in terms of rehearsal schedule and working environment for the 5 weeks that I spent in Bad Orb, don't you?  And for those of you who have insatiable curiosity about these sorts of things, if I haven't answered all of your questions by the end of this post, feel free to leave your questions below in the comments section.  Therefore, on to the crux of the matter!

The rehearsal schedule that I experienced in Bad Orb, Germany while I was working on the role of Rosine in Der Barbier von Sevilla was quite unlike anything that I had heretofore experienced in America.  Of course we did the same sorts of things during rehearsals (staging, musical rehearsing, tightening up ensemble singing, acting, etc..) but we did it at totally different times than what I am used to from the programs in which I had previously take part in the states.  To be more specific, here was a normal day's schedule for me over the course of rehearsals:

7:30am- wake up, shower, do yoga, eat breakfast (usually muesli with ricemilk and a banana), get dressed and pack up bookbag.

9:15am- get on bike and ride to Opera house.

9:45am- arrive at Opera house, park and lock up bike, head to dressing room with piano to warm up vocally.

10:00am- Rehearsal starts with staging and music combined (normally it would begin anywhere from 5-10 minutes late depending on when everyone else showed up)

11:30am-Break (normally 10 minutes long, and normally accompanied by a piece of cake which one of the lovely women from the Foerderkreis baked for us, and coffee for many of my cast-members)

1:00pm- LUNCH (Many of my colleagues and most often the Stage Director and the Conductor went to a nearby Hospital which provided a reduced-cost lunch for us performers because the head of the Hospital is also a member of the Foerderkreis from the Opernakademie, therefore he helps us artists out where he can- super nice guy! Normally, however, I stayed in the Opera house during lunch break, ate a sandwich and some fruit or pretzels that I packed the night before, and read a book or practiced the things on stage that I had not gotten 100% correct from that morning's rehearsal period. That's the good thing about being alone in a theater- no one disturbs you- and you can try out the stage, props, and acoustics as much as you want without feeling rushed. Also during the break usually around 2pm the Buehnenbildner (Set Designer) and the stagehands came to work on finishing the set (painting, drilling, nailing, building stairs, attaching doors, etc..) so that was great because I got to know them better and figure out exactly how the set goes together and work on opening and closing the shuttered doors that were attached to my balcony for the first Act.)

4:00pm- Rehearsal starts again with more staging (although depending on who was called in the last two weeks, not everyone was required to be there right at 4pm)

8:00pm- Rehearsal finishes

8:30pm- arrive back at host family house, put bike away, unpack bookbag, wash lunch tupperware, make dinner

9:00pm- Eat dinner

9:45/10:00pm- Check email/call family & friends/look over notes in score from today's second rehearsal period and memorize changes

11:00pm- set out clothes for tomorrow, read a bit

11:30pm- go to bed

Therefore, as you can see from this schedule above, it's certainly not at all like what I am used to in the USA in terms of how rehearsal times are scheduled.  Though, on the bright side, it does give you a lot of time during the majority of the day to really focus on your personal improvement of your role.

I noticed that my colleagues tended to use the time after lunch and before 4pm to practice privately, go over staging, memorize words, or coach with the Assistant Musical Director on things that they didn't do correctly in rehearsal time.  That way, unlike in the USA, you are practically forced to spend 3/4 of your day (from 7:30am til 8pm) doing some sort of practice for your role.  Which, if you are a typical European person (let's face it- they take more time to enjoy life than we Americans do, a.k.a. "breaks") then this schedule might help to light a fire under your butt, and if you're American (because we normally are overprepared and quasi-neurotic in the first place) then you simply have extra time to polish your characterization, get to know your colleagues better, or explore the town or city in which you happen to be rehearsing the show.

[I confess, I did get a lot of reading done in the breaks (since it would have been impossible to sing during the entire break time and then sing later that same day too after having already rehearsed that same morning).  I am happy to report that I finished Anna Karenina there (it's over 1,000 pages!) and half of Jane Austen's 'Northanger Abbey' (...otherwise I would have certainly spent my time blogging if the Opera house had wireless internet and I had one of those wireless internet devices....of course).]



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing...keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this detailed description of your day; thank you. :) Reading "Anna Karenina" is most impressive... good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Verunka: Glad that you enjoyed reading! I will certainly keep writing and hopefully along the way something will be helpful to everyone reading :)

    @ HM0880: Happy that the details didn't get too overwhelming (I didn't realize while writing how detailed it got actually)! And as to Anna Karenina, 1. I'm a fan of Russian Literature, and 2. I had a lot of time on my hands where I couldn't talk (so as to save my voice for rehearsing) thereby freeing up my time for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Long Can Opera Singers Sing Per Day?

To those readers who aren't singers (or even those who are) I would like to take some time today to talk about the proper and measured use of our voices (speaking and singing) during the course of a normal day and over the course of a normal week. This subject has come to mind for me because of factors relating to everyone' normal daily lives.  We are technologically-connected beings who are constantly communicating with someone, somewhere, somehow.  Sure, it's great to talk at work with your co-workers during lunch break, or have a phone conversation with your Grandmother for an hour every Tuesday, but just how much is all that talking really weighing on your voice in an overall evaluation? Because I have been singing six days a week for at least two hours since last June (and have really kept that schedule up- amazingly--okay, except for Christmas break at which point I didn't sing for 1.5 weeks) I've noticed that speaking frequently over the course the day wo

Allergy & Cold Remedies for Singers

I know that it's only 3 days away from the Summer Solstice, but I have had my first experience this year of just how terrible seasonal allergies and a subsequent summer cold can be, so I have compiled this list of tips on getting back to normal when in the throes of a cold or allergies. The advice comes from many colleagues and friends (thank you!) as well as my own experience. I hope it can serve as a reference (which might be handy to bookmark for cold season!) and if you're suffering currently, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery! :) Over-the-Counter Medicines: Claritin/Allegra/Xyzal: doctors say that Claritin is the mildest anti-allergy medicine (in pill form) and Allegra is the next strongest, followed by Xyzal, which is the strongest. I've not tried any of these so I cannot speak to their effectiveness. Flonase: over the counter nasal spray which is a synthetic steroid and supposedly helps with decongestion. My disclaimer: when I used it once bef

From the Other Side of the Opera Stage- Life as a Conductor, Coach and Collaborative Pianist: An Interview with William Hicks

All too often I find myself forgetting that there are many valuable perspectives to be examined in the world of Opera and not just that of the Singer. So today I'd like to introduce you to one such perspective from an interview that I held recently with the very talented Conductor, Coach and Pianist, Maestro William Hicks. Although his extensive experience with many of the legends of Operatic, Classical and American Music would surely lead you to believe that he holds numerous advanced degrees from Juilliard, Mr. Hicks actually only completed two years of study as a Piano, Voice and Piano Accompanying Major at the Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music and he did not finish high school. (This, of course, just makes his considerable achievements all the more impressive!) He grew up in Lexington, Kentucky; an only child raised by his maternal Grandparents and attended private school until his musical precociousness gained him early acceptance to CCM at age sixteen. Though h