Skip to main content

Opera Chorus Jobs: The Warm-Up

When I talk to non-musicians and non-singers about the difficulty of breaking into the solo career scene in Opera, they ask me (as any logical person would) "Well, why not just join the chorus? At least you could be still doing what you love- singing!"  And, while this is a very sensible plan and a good one in theory, it actually has a lot of pitfalls that I'd like to explain now to you in this post.  This will also hopefully bring about some good conversation from my operatic colleagues who are opera chorus members, or who are thinking of doing it, or who are opera house managers and who deal with chorus singers and the system of how the hiring works.

I must stress that what I am saying here is in no way the only view on the matter, but it is an informed one, as I know many chorus singers are various size opera houses, and I see and hear about the politics associated with being a chorus singer through being in the opera business and being around those people in charge of such things.

First off, the quality and pay rate of an opera chorus position is dependent upon the size of the opera house.  If it's a larger house (such as The Met) you will get paid well and you will get to sing a lot over the course of the season.  If the house is smaller (such as Cincinnati Opera) you will most likely be paid less and perform less over the course of a season.  Some smaller opera companies (such as Chesapeake Concert Opera, Center City Opera Theater, Berks Opera Workshop, Opera North) are so small that they have absolutely no budget to hire chorus singers and therefore rely solely on volunteers to comprise their opera chrous members.

So, as if that information weren't a deterrent for those of us who don't live in big cities to become paid chorus members (since the bigger cities have the bigger opera houses which means that you'd actually be paid a decent wage to sing in the choir, at least enough to live on) then there is some other news which isn't exactly a ray of sunshine peeking through the clouds.  Normally there are (if you're at a bigger Opera house) two tiers to the chorus- the A and the B choruses---think of it as first and second string football players- if you're first string, you're playing all the time and if you're second string, you're sitting on the bench- well, that is kind of how A and B choruses work.  And consequently, the pay scale for the A singers is higher than that of the B singers.  Which, just figures.  (Okay, it makes sense, but sheesh- don't these opera houses see how difficult it is to make a living doing this as it is?)

Then, there is always the schedule to contend with.  For instance, I know many people who avoid auditioning for Opera choruses as a job, and even avoid thinking of it in general, because of the following stigmas associated with something like that on your resume (as a singer looking to eventually have a solo Opera career, that is).  These stigmas that we as singers are familiar with are as follows:

1. If I put 'Chorus Singer' on my solo resume- immediately everyone who looks at that (Stage Directors and Conductors included) will think that I've opted for Chorus because I wasn't good enough to sing solo and wasn't getting picked, therefore: instant 'black spot' on resume.

2. If I'm a Chorus Singer, some opera companies won't even consider hiring me because they figure my schedule for chorus rehearsals is so demanding, I simply won't have the time to be flexible enough to attend their rehearsal process and the performances of anything I would get hired for.

3. I have heard that sometimes that Opera Company A tells Opera company B not to hire chorus singers because it will make Opera Company A mad when their chorus singers are always missing rehearals or asking for time off from their rehearsals to go and sing solo gigs.

4. Worst of all, there is the evil rumor that once you've put any 'Chorus' work on your resume (no matter how professional) it will stick in people's minds as your 'brand' and you will then automatically be out of their sub-conscious selection of available 'solo'singers when gigs come up and they need to hire someone; therefore, you won't be called for solo gigs, and you won't get any opportunities, so basically- consider Chorus singing a solo-career-ender.

So, taking into consideration all of the information above regarding Opera Chorus jobs, I must end with the caveat: this is only in America that I know of these things and have heard these rumors. I cannot speak for the validity of any of the above in Germany or Europe at large, so if anyone has any advice to that end, please do feel free to add it to this post as a comment and get the discussion going- I want to hear what you all have to say!

Comments

  1. Don't list it on your resume!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Sarah, that is a great idea. But, what would you suggest that a chorus singer do when they do get the job after auditioning and have to organize their rehearsal schedule? Is there a way around calling out sick to your choir job a lot, just to go to the solo gig? Please, tell me what you'd do- I would love to have the insight since I am probably missing something. :) Thanks so much for your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately most of the above is also true in Europe. Those in charge of casting don't seem to be able to cope with the concept of artist development. If you didn't burst straight onto the scene as a fully fledged major solo performer, they really don't want to know. Good luck with finding a solution.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Long Can Opera Singers Sing Per Day?

To those readers who aren't singers (or even those who are) I would like to take some time today to talk about the proper and measured use of our voices (speaking and singing) during the course of a normal day and over the course of a normal week. This subject has come to mind for me because of factors relating to everyone' normal daily lives.  We are technologically-connected beings who are constantly communicating with someone, somewhere, somehow.  Sure, it's great to talk at work with your co-workers during lunch break, or have a phone conversation with your Grandmother for an hour every Tuesday, but just how much is all that talking really weighing on your voice in an overall evaluation? Because I have been singing six days a week for at least two hours since last June (and have really kept that schedule up- amazingly--okay, except for Christmas break at which point I didn't sing for 1.5 weeks) I've noticed that speaking frequently over the course the day wo

Allergy & Cold Remedies for Singers

I know that it's only 3 days away from the Summer Solstice, but I have had my first experience this year of just how terrible seasonal allergies and a subsequent summer cold can be, so I have compiled this list of tips on getting back to normal when in the throes of a cold or allergies. The advice comes from many colleagues and friends (thank you!) as well as my own experience. I hope it can serve as a reference (which might be handy to bookmark for cold season!) and if you're suffering currently, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery! :) Over-the-Counter Medicines: Claritin/Allegra/Xyzal: doctors say that Claritin is the mildest anti-allergy medicine (in pill form) and Allegra is the next strongest, followed by Xyzal, which is the strongest. I've not tried any of these so I cannot speak to their effectiveness. Flonase: over the counter nasal spray which is a synthetic steroid and supposedly helps with decongestion. My disclaimer: when I used it once bef

From the Other Side of the Opera Stage- Life as a Conductor, Coach and Collaborative Pianist: An Interview with William Hicks

All too often I find myself forgetting that there are many valuable perspectives to be examined in the world of Opera and not just that of the Singer. So today I'd like to introduce you to one such perspective from an interview that I held recently with the very talented Conductor, Coach and Pianist, Maestro William Hicks. Although his extensive experience with many of the legends of Operatic, Classical and American Music would surely lead you to believe that he holds numerous advanced degrees from Juilliard, Mr. Hicks actually only completed two years of study as a Piano, Voice and Piano Accompanying Major at the Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music and he did not finish high school. (This, of course, just makes his considerable achievements all the more impressive!) He grew up in Lexington, Kentucky; an only child raised by his maternal Grandparents and attended private school until his musical precociousness gained him early acceptance to CCM at age sixteen. Though h